Mi a1 is the first AndroidOne phone from the Xaiomi mobile. And most of the Indian users are using this phone as their primary device. No doubt the Mi A1 is one of the best android phones. The phone runs on the stock ROM and famous for the camera and portrait mode photography. But most of the Mi a1 not happy with the system update of the phone. Some of them stuck on nougat and some of them are on the 8.0 oreo. And most of them want to enjoy the features of Android 8.,1 oreo. But there is no update from a long time. Don’t worry, you can install the Pixel Experience ROM 8.1 Oreo on your phone and enjoy all the features of Android 8.1 oreo on your phone.
Pixel Experience ROM is based on the Google Pixel rom and one of the best custom ROM for the Mi a1 users. The latest build runs on the Android 8.1 OREO and comes with June Security patch. And the best part of the ROM is that you will get all the latest system updates this ROM. All credit goes to the Pixel Experience ROM developers, who are managing this awesome ROM.
So today in this guide we will show you how to Install Pixel Experience ROM 8.1 Oreo on Mi A1. To install any Custom ROM you need a Custom TWRP recovery and the Custom ROM zip file. But before that, you need to unlock the bootloader of the phone. Without unlocking the bootloader you can install the TWRP on your phone. So let’s take a look at how to do that.
Table of Contents
- 1 Install Pixel Experience ROM 8.1 Oreo on Mi A1
- 2 How to Install TWRP and Pixel Experience ROM on Mi A1
Install Pixel Experience ROM 8.1 Oreo on Mi A1
This guide is only for the Mi A1 phone users and don’t apply this method on any other Xiaomi Phone. Do take the full backup of your phone. Coz this process will delete all the data from your phone.
HowToRootMobile.com is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, proceed at your own risk.
What is Custom ROM
Custom ROMs replace the pre-installed stock ROM of the Android devices. Whenever you buy your Android phone, the phone comes with a “stock ROM” or the “stock firmware”. This refers to the preinstalled operating system. By flashing the custom ROM on your phone, you can unlock extra features and sometimes improve the performance. Custom ROMs not only bring the latest version of Android but also give you many customization options. The possibilities are almost limitless.
Benefits of Custom ROM
- System Updates: You can run the Android versions which can make your old phone look new. And you will get all the latest System Updates in the custom ROM
- Customization: There are a number of features that can come with the custom ROM which you can’t find in the Stock ROM. So you can customized your phone as per your taste and working environment. For instance, Custom themes can bring a new look and feel to your device.
- Improve performance: One of the biggest advantages of using custom ROMs is your smartphone will be faster. Themes and applications preinstalled by the manufacturer are reduced to almost nothing. This saves a lot of memory space and increases the device’s performance.
- Root access: With root access, you have control over all of the functions of your device. With the original Android, some functions are hidden. Now the modified firmware gives you unlimited access to all the features of your smartphone. Furthermore, backups are performed more easily.
- Better signal and quality: Custom ROMs help you to improve your base-band which in turn increases the signal and quality of your phone call.
- Battery and Performance: Most Of the Custom ROMs are very close to stock vanilla android in look. The Custom ROMs are very optimized which results in better battery life and smooth performance.
Pre-Requirements To Install Custom ROMS
Before following the below Mention guide, It’s always recommended to follow our pre-requisites and requirement to stay safe.
Warning! We the Howtorootmobile.com team or the developers are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards. Read all the instruction very carefully and Perform everything at your own risk.
1. Backup your phone data – Do take the Full Backup of your Android Apps, SMS, Contacts, Call Logs, Bookmarks. This one is one of the most important steps that you have to follow, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps. For help on Backup and Restore check out the below mention guides.
3. Charge Your Phone – If your device switched off during this process, it could damage or brick the device. Make sure that your Android battery is full charge or near about 50-70% battery level.
4. Check phone Model – Don’t try this method on any of other Android devices, It may hard brick your device. So, first confirm your phone model number in your android phone settings. To do this Go the Settings page of your device and check out the “About Device” option.
After following the above mention steps follow the below mention guide one by one to proceed with the tutorial. All the above mention steps are very important, so do follow all the steps and do exactly what is told.
Download File to Install TWRP and Custom Rom
1. Download The USB drivers here on your PC.
2. Install the ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your PC, And you will see the ADB folder on your Windows C Drive (C:/ADB).
3. Download the Pixel Experience ROM zip file here and save the zip file on your phone.
4. Download TWRP recovery for the phone.
How to Install TWRP and Pixel Experience ROM on Mi A1
Install TWRP and Unlock Mi A1
1. Enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to Setting -> About Phone -> Now Tap on Build Number until you see a message an on a screen like “You Are Now A Developer”.
2. Now you have developer option in your phone setting panel, go to Settings-> Developer Options -> Enable USB debugging and also enable OEM unlock. See the image below.
3. Rename your TWRP recovery filename to recovery.img and save in the ADB folder that you created above while installing the ADB and fastboot files. You can find the ADB folder on your windows system C drive (C:/ADB).
4. Now connect your phone to the PC with original USB cable.
5. Now open a command window inside the ADB folder. To do that, “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
6. And type the following into the command window to boot your device into bootloader/fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
7. Once your phone in the boot loader or fast mode. You need to Unlock Bootloader of Mi a1. If you already done it then go to the Step 8. Run this command to unlock.
fastboot oem unlock
8. Now time to boot the phone in reocvery mode.
fastboot boot recovery.img
9. Now your phoen will boot in the TWRP reocvery mode.
Now you can install the Custom ROM on your phone. Check the below guide to install the custom ROM.
How to Flash the Custom ROM on MI A1
1. Once your phone in the TWRP custom recovery mode. Go to Wipe button, then select “Advanced Wipe” from the following screen. From here, tick the boxes next to the Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache options, then swipe the slider at the bottom of the screen.
2. Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and select the ROM .zip file that saved on your phone from the download section.
3. Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see “Wipe cache/dalvik” option, select it and then “Reboot System”.
VIDEO: Install Pixel ROM on Mi A1
Direct Link to YouTube Video
That’s all. Your device will now reboot with the custom ROM you just flashed. If you have any question related to this post, feel free to leave that in the comment section.
HowtoRootMobile a.k.a HMR is one of the biggest Android Rooting and Custom ROM guides websites which has been serving for last 5 years. Here you will get all the info about Rooting, Custom Recovery, Unlocking and Custom ROMS.