Now Galaxy S3 users will enjoy the new Kitkat on their phone. Recently, Google released the new Android 4.4 Kitkat and available for the Nexus Devices. While official Android 4.4 update from Samsung isn’t released yet, but some of the XDA developers released the new Unofficial CM11 AOSP ROM for Galaxy S3 phones. The ROM is based on the Android 4.4 Kitkat and available for the S3 devices. To enjoy this rom on your phone, All you have to flash the ROM files on your device with the help of custom Recovery. All you need a rooted device with the latest Custom Recovery to install the Kitkat rom on S3.
The ROM is working fine and most of the XDA users tried it on their devices and happy with the new Unofficial CM11 AOSP ROM. If you’d like install Android 4.4 on your Galaxy S3, read our below mention tutorial to update your phone with this new ROM.
WARNING:- Your warranty is now void. We and Developers are not responsible for your device, if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Table of Contents
Pre-requisites and Requirements
a) Before following the guide do take the Full Backup of your Android Apps, SMS, Contacts, Call Logs, Bookmarks. Looking for more ways to get the Backup your android device click here. So in case if you lost some of your important data and files in the update or rooting process, then you can easily restore them from your backup file. Read also how to take the backup of WhatsApp messages and restore it.
b) Once the backup files are saved on your device or on your desktop, Enable USB debugging mode on your device, read the guide here how to enable USB debugging mode.
c) Make sure that your Galaxy S3 battery is full charge or near about 60-70% battery level.
d) Download the Latest Samsung USB drivers on your PC and install it to start the update process. You need these drivers to connect your device with the computer to follow this guide.
After following the above mention steps follow the below mention guide one by one to update Galaxy S3. All the above mention steps are very important, so do follow all the steps and do exactly what is told.
Guide to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.4 KitKat
Note: Read All the instructions very carefully and below mention tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 model. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
1. Download the Android 4.4 KitKat Unofficial CM11 AOSP ROM For Galaxy S3 here and save the folder on your desktop.
2. Download the latest Google Apps package here and save the zip file on your desktop.
3. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable and move both the downloaded files on your phone.
IMPORTANT: To flash these files you need latest version of CWM recovery, other wise you will not able to install the files on your S3.
4. Switch off you phone and boot in recovery mode. To do this, Press and Hold Volume Up + Home and Power buttons. Or read Our Guide How To Easily Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Device
5. Once you are on Recovery Mode, Select wipe data/factory reset, followed by wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache from advanced.
6. After this go back to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD card”.
7. Install the ROM that you downloaded on step 1, followed by the Google Apps package.
8. After that go back to the main menu and select reboot system now.
Now your Galaxy S3 is running on Android 4.4 KitKat
HowtoRootMobile a.k.a HMR is one of the biggest Android Rooting and Custom ROM guides websites which has been serving for last 5 years. Here you will get all the info about Rooting, Custom Recovery, Unlocking and Custom ROMS.